Saturday, February 15, 2014

Chocolate Balls

I bought a new recipe book, "Hypoglycémie: 21 jours de menus" by Alexandra Leduc, nutritionnist. Every recipe I've tried so far is pretty good. 

Here is one recipe I've adapted for those of you who have a slightly sweet tooth, this is just right. You will find my adaptations below.

1/4 cup Chia seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup almond powder
1/2 cup Hazelnuts, finely chopped
3 tbsp of cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
Ingredients
1/2 cup oat bran

In a large bowl mix well Chia and apple sauce, let stand for 10 minutes. It will swell.
Meanwhile, mix cocoa, almond powder, Hazelnuts, sugar and oat bran.
Add dry ingredients to wet ones. Mix well with hands and then make balls the size of big marshmallows. Should give between 15 to 18 balls.
Mixtures





Finished product
Finished product on the left. Keeps for 1 week in the fridge or you can freeze. Have 2-3 mid morning as a snack, they keep the wolf from the door until lunch.




At this point they are still healthy.

But this is where I made changes. First I doubled the recipe (except sugar & only 4 tbsp of cocoa instead of 6tbsp) and made the balls smaller, they came to +/- 53 balls. 
I did not add the hazelnuts in the mixture but rolled the balls in them instead as you can see below. I didn't have oat bran, but took some oatmeal and put it through the blender, it gave the same constistancy as oat bran. 
Balls rolled in Hazelnuts



Once this was done, I let them sit for +/- 1 hour and went ahead and melted some dark chocolat in a double boiler, made a mess on the stove while doing so. 






















When the chocolate was melted, I rolled each ball in it and placed them on a cookie sheet with parchement paper to cool down. Place them in the fridge for the chocolate to harden. 
All done and ready to serve. 
.

Only 49 left at this point.


Enjoy. 
J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment